Eating smoothies is a great way to pack in all the important nutrients you need in a day. Smoothie enhancers, like Healthful Seasons Collagen Peptides add an extra boost to start the day.
Collagen peptides promote benefits that are unmatched with foods alone. As we age, the levels of collagen in our body drops. Lower collagen contributes to crepey skin, joint pain, weakening muscles, wrinkles, gastrointestinal problems and more. To process collagen, we need vitamin C (1, 2, 3). Mixing a hydrolyzed collagen, such as Healthful Seasons Collagen Peptides to your smoothies may offer you the most efficient and effective way of digesting and utilizing collagen.
Our Coconut Raspberry Smoothie is not only delicious, it’s packed with lots of nutrition too! Not only is it made with raspberries, the bananas and coconut gives it that dig-your-toes-in-the-sand beach vibe.
What are the Health Benefits of Raspberries?
Raspberries couple well with Healthful Seasons Collagen Peptides
These tiny fruits boast huge health benefits. They are high in vitamin C, manganese, and fiber. Raspberries also contain copper, vitamin K, pantothenic acid, biotin, vitamin E, folate, magnesium, and omega-3 fats.
But that’s not all! These incredible berries have a diverse panel of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory phytonutrients with anti-cancer benefits. There are also new studies that show improvement in the management of obesity due to its rheosmin or raspberry ketone (4, 5).
What are the Health Benefits of Bananas?
Bananas are one of the best sources of potassium. They are also high in fiber and vitamin B6, and a good source of vitamin C, manganese, fiber, copper, and biotin. They are low in fat and high in fiber and water, which gives a fuller sensation.
Bananas contain beneficial antioxidants and have been studied for lowering blood pressure, controlling kidney disease and other health-related benefits (6, 7, 8).
Preparation Tips for the Smoothie
Wash raspberries in cold water, drain and spread out on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze overnight. Once frozen, divide out into freezer safe zip-locked bags.
Peel and cut bananas into circular slices. Then place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze for later. You can buy fruit in bunches when ripe and freeze them in bulk.
Healthful tip: When you prep fruit ahead of time you can easily prepare on-the-go smoothies. If you freeze fruit, it will last longer than fresh fruit, so you will always have it handy. You can also purchase frozen fruit from the frozen aisle at the grocery store.
Bananas add a thick and creamy texture to every smoothie. You can achieve this best when you freeze your bananas. They are also inexpensive, delicious, and nutritious.
- National Institutes of Health: Office of Dietary Supplements. Vitamin C. 2021, March 26. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminC-HealthProfessional/
- Moores J. Vitamin C: a wound healing perspective. Br J Community Nurs. 2013 Dec;Suppl:S6, S8-11. doi: 10.12968/bjcn.2013.18.sup12.s6. PMID: 24796079.
- Li Y, Schellhorn HE. New developments and novel therapeutic perspectives for vitamin C. J Nutr. 2007 Oct;137(10):2171-84. doi: 10.1093/jn/137.10.2171. PMID: 17884994.
- McDougall GJ, Kulkarni NN, Stewart D. Current developments on the inhibitory effects of berry polyphenols on digestive enzymes. Biofactors. 2008;34(1):73-80. doi: 10.1002/biof.5520340108. PMID: 19706974.
- McDougall GJ, Stewart D. The inhibitory effects of berry polyphenols on digestive enzymes. Biofactors. 2005;23(4):189-95. doi: 10.1002/biof.5520230403. PMID: 16498205.
- D'Elia L, Barba G, Cappuccio FP, Strazzullo P. Potassium intake, stroke, and cardiovascular disease a meta-analysis of prospective studies. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011 Mar 8;57(10):1210-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2010.09.070. PMID: 21371638.
- Filippini T, Naska A, Kasdagli MI, Torres D, Lopes C, Carvalho C, Moreira P, Malavolti M, Orsini N, Whelton PK, Vinceti M. Potassium Intake and Blood Pressure: A Dose-Response Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. J Am Heart Assoc. 2020 Jun 16;9(12):e015719. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.119.015719
- Singh B, Singh JP, Kaur A, Singh N. Bioactive compounds in banana and their associated health benefits - A review. Food Chem. 2016 Sep 1;206:1-11. doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.03.033. Epub 2016 Mar 11. PMID: 27041291.
Coconut Raspberry Smoothie
This delicious smoothie is the perfect boost to get you up and going in the morning!
¼ cup unsweetened coconut milk
½ cup frozen raspberries
1 cup frozen banana (slices)
1 tsp organic honey
¾ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
¼ tsp cinnamon
1 scoop Healthful Seasons Collagen Peptides
Blend all ingredients together on a smoothie setting/high power, periodically pushing ingredients down from the sides and blend until smooth.
Top with old fashioned oatmeal, cinnamon, blueberries or sliced strawberry, if desired.
Calories 329, Fat 5 grams, Saturated Fat 3.7 grams, Cholesterol 17 milligrams, Sodium 57 milligrams, Carbs 56.1 grams, Fiber 7.4 grams, Sugar 34.4 grams, Protein 25 grams